Understanding the basics of WordPress operation and management. This series will walk you through the WordPress administration screens.
This series will walk you through the basics of WordPress administration screen by screen so you can begin being comfortable managing your new website.
An overview of the general layout of the WordPress admin and the home screen.
Keeping WordPress up to date
One of the most important things to do when running your own WordPress website is keeping the core software, plugins and themes up to date. This keeps your site performing properly as well as keeping it secure. Luckily, this is a very easy process.
Please watch the video below to learn about the update process and how easy it is when using WordPress.
To update software in WordPress:
- Before running updates, it’s recommended to take a manual backup with your host.
- Hover over “Dashboard” in the main admin menu, and click on “Updates”.
- If an update for WordPress core is available, click the update button and wait for the process to complete, then hover over “Dashboard” again and click “Updates”.
- Under the plugins section, click the “Select All” checkbox, then click the update button under the list of plugins that require an update. Wait for the process to finish, then click on the link provided to return to the WordPress updates page.
- Under the themes section, click the “Select All” checkbox, then click the update button under the list of themes that require an update. Wait for the process to finish, then click on the link provided to return to the WordPress updates page.
- If you are running a multilingual site, under “Translations”, if updated translations are available, click the “Update Translations” button, wait for the process to complete.
Get help and support by joining us on Slack!
LattePress offers free WordPress support via our Slack channel. Join us today and chat with the community or ask questions to our WordPress experts both publicly or privately via direct message.
Our team will do our best to help support you, answer questions, offer guidance or suggestions based on your needs. We're looking forward to chatting with you!
Need help? Get a free consultation.
If you have any questions at all and aren't sure which direction to take, click the button below to schedule a free consultation. Learn if what you need can be done on your own with our tutorials or if it will require custom development.